TDK Corporation (TSE:6762) announces the portfolio expansion of the Micronas masterHAL® sensor family with the release of HAL 3970, a new stray-field robust 3D HAL®
position sensor. The sensor, suited for automotive and industrial
applications, has highly accurate angular detection from 0° to 360°,
linear position detection, and uses Short PWM Code frames (SPC) to
transmit the calculated position information. SPC is an enhancement of
the standard SENT protocol according to SAE J2716. It enables data to be
transmitted based on a trigger pulse sent by an external ECU, and it
supports point-to-point connections as well as a single-wire bus mode
with up to four sensors. Parameters such as unit time, frame format,
trigger mode, slow channel format, rolling counter, and more, are easily
configurable. For example, HAL 3970 can be used for stray-field robust
angle detection in steering-wheel position applications*. Samples will be available in the fourth quarter of 2020.
Each sensor within the HAL 39xy sensor family is based on the patented 3D HAL pixel cell technology**.
HAL 3970 uses a special array of Hall plates for high-accuracy
measurement of vertical and horizontal magnetic-field components. Due to
the sophisticated arrangement of these Hall plates, the sensor detects
angles up to 360 degrees and suppresses external magnetic stray fields.
Only a simple two-pole magnet is required to determine rotation angle.
Ideally, the magnet should be placed above the sensitive area in an
end-of-shaft configuration. The sensor also supports stray-field robust
The on-chip signal processing of HAL 3970
calculates the angle out of the magnetic-field components and converts
this value into a digital output value. The sensor features a powerful
DSP and an embedded microcontroller. The DSP is responsible for fast
signal processing, while the microcontroller performs the interface
configuration and supervision of the functional safety-related tasks.
characteristics like gain and offset, reference position, etc. can be
adjusted to the magnetic circuitry by programming the non-volatile
memory. HAL 3970 is defined as SEooC (Safety Element out of Context)
ASIL B-ready, according to ISO 26262. HAL 3970 is available in the
eight-pin SOIC8 SMD package.
- 3D HAL® pixel cell: Enables the direct measurement of magnetic fields in three directions X, Y, Z.
compensation: Modern Hall-effect sensors must be insensitive against
disturbing fields generated by e-motors or power lines in hybrid (xHEV)
or electrical vehicles (xEV).
- Steering-angle detection
- Long-stroke measurements in transmission systems or clutch applications
Main features and benefits***
- Stray-field robust position detection (linear and rotary up to 360°) covering ISO 11452-8 requirements
- Compensation of stray fields with gradients for applications with 180° rotation
- Transmission of position and temperature information including rolling counter
- Supports SPC-enhanced 12-bit serial message format including temperature information
- Various SPC trigger modes (constant/variable length and short trigger pulse (point-2-point))
- Programming via sensor's output pin at minimum supply voltage
- SEooC ASIL B-ready according to ISO 26262 to support functional safety applications
- Wide supply voltage range: 3.0 V to 16 V
- Up to 16 kSps sampling frequency
- Suitable for automotive applications due to a wide ambient temperature range from -40 °C up to 150 °C
Type HAL 3970
Digital output format SPC
Angular error ±0.6°
Magnetic field amplitude range ±10 mT… ±130 mT
Safety ASIL B-ready